Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Jack in the Wrack

Exterior Decorating
Keeping Brevard Beaches Clean

For Love of People 
and Animals


Some people load up when they come to the beach, umbrellas, chairs, tents but trees? Going for that real tropical feel I guess.  


Millennium Park in Indian Harbor Beach has been adopted by our local beachside Wal-Mart.
Many of the beaches in Brevard County have been adopted by organizations which do regular cleanups.  It's great to see so many people getting involved to keep our beaches clean.
I was there yesterday for about an hour finding all kinds of junk.  Weather- gorgeous, around 80 F- 25C.


I spent about 15 minutes ripping dried seaweed to get to a big snarl of fishing line. Into the recycle tube with you.
Jack in the wrack
Lee has a theory that the seaweed that wraps around rope and fishing line does so as a naturally defensive move to make it less able to entangle and injure sea life.


I collected a good 10 lbs of debris along with 22 ft. of rope moving my total to 1095 ft or 365 yds.



The remains of the prey
Grampa's beach,
we miss him
Today it was down to Seagull Park in Satellite Beach, grampa's beach, in honor of my late father-in-law.
Boat bumper
Big plastic chunk of
could be anything junk

Much more litter has been on the beach lately.  I filled a good full tote today along with another 15 ft. of rope.  The total is now exactly 1100 ft. or 366.66 yds. of rope collected since I began keeping track two months ago. I don't know if people realize how much is out there.  A LOT. And what it does to wildlife is not pretty. I want to get it off the beach so it can't wash back out and entangle marine animals.


 Two months until I walk the county in a county wide Beach Hug.
I would love company if anyone is interested in walking a section with me and my Beach Hugger crew.


Thanks for stopping by,
Do svidaniya
Beach Hugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment